Chemical Assessments

What is a Chemical Assessment?

A Chemical Assessment is an evaluation used to determine if a person has a problem with alcohol or drugs and the appropriate level of treatment if a problem exists. It is also a Minnesota-based diagnostic tool used to diagnose substance use disorders. Following the completion of the assessment, the person being assessed is provided with results. The results are summarized in a Recommendation Letter or Summary Report. Recommendations vary from person-to-person and can be simple suggestions such as speak to your doctor about quitting smoking or to enroll into a drug treatment program – among many other possible recommendations.

If a person has alcohol or drug related criminal charges, such as a DWI or DUI, an alcohol assessment or rule 25 assessment will be court-ordered in Minnesota. Judges and probation officers will require a person to follow all recommendations made during the assessment process. Chemical Use Assessment are also referred to as an Addiction Evaluation, Rule 25 Assessment, Chemical Dependency Evaluation, CD Assessment, Substance Abuse Evaluation, AODA Assessment or Comprehensive Assessments.

Why hire an independent evaluator for my Chemical Assessment?

  1. Private chemical assessors - such as Michael  612.263.9677 - work for you, not a 3rd party organization. Therefore, they advocate for you, which is especially important when a person has court involvement
  2. Private evaluators provide completely independent assessments, allowing for an unbiased assessment process. The independent assessment process provides for a better overall experience as the assessor does not have any conflict of interests and will not pressure a person into entering rehab
  3. Private evaluators do not work for for-profit treatment centers, and are not incentivized by recommending or recruiting a person into a treatment program. This limits the risk of being misplaced into rehab
  4. When treatment is medically appropriate, private evaluators provide different treatment options instead of telling you where you need to go for treatment. This helps to ensure that a person in need of help receives the most high-quality, evidenced-based treatment available

How does a private chemical assessment benefit a person who actually needs help?

Completing a chemical assessment with an independent evaluator in private practice allows for a truly unbiased assessment. The evaluator works outside of a treatment center; therefore, they can refer you to the best treatment program available for your unique situation. You essentially have access to hundreds of different treatment programs/options across the state of Minnesota compared to when you go to a local drug treatment program that recruits you into their program, even when it is far from the best option available.

Most people call up their local Alcohol and Drug Treatment Center for their chemical dependency, rule 25, or alcohol assessment. Unfortunately, treatment center evaluators are biased and often "recruit" people completing chemical assessments into the treatment center’s for-profit services that are oftentimes low quality and ineffective. For example, many rehabs are rooted in spirituality or Christianity - relying on prayer and/or relationship with God – instead of effective medical treatment (medications and/or cognitive-behavioral therapy).

Who is a quality, independent assessor?

Michael  612.263.9677 is a highly experienced, state-licensed evaluator that works in the twin cities. Michael is highly trained medical professional will advocate for you throughout the assessment process. Michael is experienced in working the District Courts, the Department of Vehicle Services (DMV), and Child Protection Workers during the assessment process. Call today to setup your private evaluation.

Resource List in the Twin Cities

What is the difference between a rule 25 and chemical dependency evaluation?

A rule 25 assessment is a 18-page structured assessment used in Minnesota to help a person get into alcohol or drug treatment. The rule 25 is also used to secure county funding to pay for treatment for an individual who lacks health insurance and who is low income. The rule 25 assessor follows specific state statues, which govern how the assessment process should be conducted.

On the other hand, a chemical dependency evaluation is a type of assessment that treatment centers deploy to determine if a person is eligible for treatment services. The evaluation is also referred to as a comprehensive assessment. Oftentimes a person seeking alcohol or drug treatment already has private health insurance so the rule 25 funding is not needed and the rule 25 assessment can be bypassed. Therefore, a chemical dependency evaluation is used in its place. Call  612.263.9677 to schedule your rule 25 or chemical dependency evaluation appointment today.

What questions should I ask the assessor before hiring?

It is important to do your research before you select an assessor. Some excellent questions to ask include:

What are your credentials? Are you licensed in the state of Minnesota?
Tell me about your education background? Do you have advanced training or a graduate degree?
How do you conduct the assessment? What should I expect?
How long does the assessment last? When will I get my results?

This are excellent general questions to ask. If you have any special needs, such as a disability that needs special accommodations, make sure to ask if the facility can accommodate your needs or request in advance. If they cannot, they will typically refer you to a assessment site that can accommodate special needs.

What should I bring to the chemical assessment appointment?

At the time of your assessment, it is a good idea to bring your photo ID. You can typically bring a loved one with you if that makes you more comfortable. Along with your identification card, also bring with the contact information of the person or agency that asked you to complete the assessment. This may be your attorney, a probation agent, or a social worker. You will want to ask your assessor to send this person or agency the assessment documentation.

Places where a rule 25 assessment takes place:

Most commonly, the rule 25 assessment is conducted at the agency in a private office. Sometimes however, an assessor will meet with a person at a location convenient to you such as your home. Assessments also can take place via telemedicine, which is a secure video conference. Other common places are at county jails, hospitals, or mental health clinics.